One of the blog people

Saturday, April 14, 2007

"It's A Dry Cold"

You know the saying popular amongst our Western Canadian friends, "It's a dry cold?". I've come to realize over the last two weeks that they really aren't just talking about this province in its cold state, but also it's warm, rainy, snowy, and hot states. Saskatchewan is dry!!! How do I know? Because I've been applying copious amounts of moisturizer to my body morning, noon, and night and I am still a blotchy mess all over. This may have been a bit more information than you cared to know, but when people ask me what I notice to be the biggest difference from home, it has to be the dry air.

Other than that, Saskatchewan is starting to get under my skin in the best possible way. The job is going really well; lots of variety and the opportunity to be constantly learning, even when that "honeymoon" period of the new job comes to an end. What I love about the students so far is that they all have a real purpose for being there and it seems to impact the way they learn and the enthusiasm they have, even as the school year draws to a close and exhaustion sets in. This week I was able to do a lot of reference work, as well as design a session for faculty and staff about doing "advanced searching" in Google.

Today I'm headed out to the much-talked about East-End of Regina, where all of the outlet malls and bigbox stores are. I know my little heart should be shuddering, but something tells me it will remind me of Ontario and I'll feel at home!! I bought a bed and a killer red couch last week for my new apartment, so today I'm hoping to find a few other things, given that yesterday was my first paycheque since August!

I've also connected with some Regina Roughriders season ticket-holders. Do you think CFL fever will get me in its grips while I'm out here?! First I may have to take their Football 101 course!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slather on the moisturizer. Seriously. And get yourself a good humidifier. And leave the bathroom door open when you shower. And get lots and lots of plants. Basically, just try to make your new apartment into a greenhouse. And THEN, maybe --just maybe --you will avoid that wonderful western thing I like to call "the cracked knuckles of western winter"

Welcome to the West! I'm so glad that everything is working out for you! Yayyyyy!

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home